The History of St. John Divine Missionary Baptist Church
Founding and First Pastor
St. John Divine Missionary Baptist Church was organized by the late Rev. M. H. Hunter on July 5, 1924. Our original place of worship was located at 318 E. Yonge St. in Pensacola, Florida. The congregation consisted of a small group of members whose hearts were set on a place of worship to fulfill the will of God. For nearly ten years, Rev. Hunter served as a compelling and inspiring pastor for the faithful members of St. John Divine. He served well until God called him from labor to reward on December 24, 1933.
In 1934, the late Rev. F. A. Ellerby became the second pastor of St. John Divine. He served faithfully for 29 years before Rev. Ellerby’s life’s journey came to an end in March of 1963.
In February of 1964, Rev. Otha Leverete, II, became the third pastor of St. John Divine. During Rev. Leverette’s tenure, the church relocated to 620 E. Jordan St. due to the construction of Interstate 110. After 29 years, Rev. Leverette transitioned from St. John Divine in July of 1993.
On March 3, 1994, Rev. Richard L. Hines, Jr. was called as the fourth pastor of St. John Divine. During his tenure, the Educational Building was erected in 1998. Rev. Hines served until April 2009 when he resigned as pastor of St. John Divine.
On September 24, 2009, Rev. Joseph L. Marshall was called to serve as the fifth pastor of St. John Divine Missionary Baptist Church. Dr. Marshall has brought a passion for the Lord that is contagious and uncanny. His “bible-based” teaching and leadership has St. John Divine once again primed to continue the advancement of the Kingdom of God.